Hacking Flash Games under Linux
-migrated-
Hacking Flash Games under Linux Posted on: 11/29/2010 6:31pm
Quote Post
In this short tutorial, I will show you how to hack Flashgames under Linux.
This tutorial is very, very detailled, because it's for noobs.
Oldfags won't even need this tut,... so what!

The program we will use is called "scanmem" and works the same way as Cheat Engine.
It grabs the values of the selected process and lists them, so you can change and/or freeze them.

Considering that I'm from Germany please don't complain about my English, comma placement etc.  ;-)
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx on a crappy laptop =D

scanmem is distributed under the GNU Public License
If not done before, activate the Sources multiverse and universe

STEP I - Installing scanmem

First of all you will have to update your Packagelist by opening a Terminal and typing
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
Now you can simply download and install scanmem by typing
sudo apt-get install scanmem (broken image removed)

Due to the fact that scanmem sets no starter in your menu you will have to start it manually via the terminal as well.
Therefore you type
sudo scanmem (you need the sudo rights to grant access to the other processes. if you don't start scanmem as sudo you won't be able to read or change any values from other processes)
(broken image removed)

STEP II - choosing process

Now scanmem asks you for the pid (Process ID) of the program you want to "hack".
You can find it out by just going to your task manager.
In my example I'm using Opera. Just as firefox does, Opera has an extra process for the running Plugins.
In my Version of Opera it is called "operapluginwrapper".

So you simply search for the plugin and look for the pid.
(broken image removed)
the Process ID is "12918" in my example.
So I just type
pid 12918in scanmem.

STEP III - searching for values
To demonstrate our course of action I chose "Pumpkin Remover 2" on Kong.
If scanmem got access to the chosen process it will tell you how many acessible regions were found.
Each region contains multiple strings, just as on Windows platforms.
(broken image removed)

Multipliers are just the same like in CE so you have to multiply manually and search for the result. Luckily Pumpkin Remover wirks with x1, so i dont have to use calculator or brain.exe =)

I want to reduce my "taken clicks" in the game, to get par and better on all the levels.
I made 2 clicks so far, so I just enter
2in scanmem.
(broken image removed)

Wow, we got over 200,000 values (broken image removed) So I make another click. After that I scan for 3, by just typing the number into the scanmem-terminal

After that I just got 84 matches. Much better but still too much ;-)
(broken image removed)
So - it reminds of CE- new click, new scan, new click, new scan.

STEP IV - changing values
When just 1 or 2 matches are left, type
listto show them and then
set xxxxto change them (for the xxxx you should insert something senseful (e.g. your wanted value =D), I chose "1")
(broken image removed)

STEP V - freeze/ autochange values

just like in CE this change is nonrecurring unless you freeze the value.

to do so, you will have to type
set x/yx is your wanted value again, y is the time (in seconds) the value will be changed to that value again. So if you type
set 1/5your chosen value will be changed to "1" all 5 seconds, or stay "1" if it did not change in the time between.
(broken image removed)

this method works fine with the same values needed for CE, so it really is an acceptable alternative for all Linux users.

As you can see on the screenshot, my clicks were not counted higher then "2" and I was able to beat that game the hacked way.
(broken image removed)

To shutdown scanmem, just type
exitinto the running terminal.
It will instantly shutdown the programm. You can also just close the running Terminal.

I hope this Tutorial helps some Linux Users, who dont want to shift to Windows just for having the possibility of running Cheat Engine.
Unfortunately CE does not seem to usefully run in Wine, so this is the only productive solution I know.

Instead of this, maybe:
http://img2.imagebanana.com/img/g5yj14zc/Unbenannt.jpg

Greetings,
-Thompson-
Re: Hacking Flash Games under Linux Posted on: 03/11/2011 9:53pm
Quote Post
ok so first off yes im reviveing an old(ish) thread.... and this account is brand new( thats only because i forgot my password/username for my other account XD )<sudo facepalm>

1: there seems to be a problem if u freeze the values for some reason they dont really freeze for me its wierd also i cant stop/turn off the freeze on the addresses, it just sticks on a constant loop of setting the values. any help with that would be great.

2: as u mentioned with useing cheat engine inside wine. u can do it, u just need to run both the browser and CE inside of the same instance of wine. its not fully sudjested though because its not fully supported, how ever with a little tweaking of wine u can get it running darn near perfectly.

p.s. WOOT WOOT another Ubuntu 10.04 lucid lynx user!
p.s.2 hopefully this wasnt a bad post and hopefully i masked my stupidity with the sudjestion about CE in wine XD
Re: Hacking Flash Games under Linux Posted on: 03/11/2011 11:38pm
Quote Post
Game Conqueror is a suitable replacement, it expands scanmem's abilities and provides a working gui.