Root Variable Help
-migrated-
Root Variable Help Posted on: 12/17/2011 1:44am
Quote Post
Recently, I have been trying to learn how to do root variable scanning, so I decided to try it on Momentum Missile Mayhem. Unfortunately, I got a bit stuck during the stickied tutorial. In particularly, this part:

We now have the address 0695230C. From what we learned earlier, the root variable is pointing to an address at a -7 offset from this address (it was +7, but we are now going backwards from the variable name to the value). 0695230C-7 is 06952305 (which ends in a 5 just as we noticed before). Lets now reverse that new address and search for that array of bytes.

I'll go through the steps I took and would appreciate any help!

First, I started the game (Crossfire Mode), and then searched for _level0/:score2

After finding the one result, I took the address (0D4260F0), reversed it (F0 60 42 0D), then searched for the AoB.

Finding the next result, I did the same thing. I took that address (08DD9CB4), but this time I took the last 2 numbers (B4) and subtracted them by 7, using Windows Calculator (hex). I got 08DD9CAD. So, I reversed and searched for the AoB (AD 9C DD 08), and no results popped up.

I could have swore that I was following the directions exactly, but unfortunately I am at a loss of what to do. Even after reading the step-by-step version and watching the video, it seems I was doing the right thing, it just wasn't working.

Also, I apologize for how I have yet to contribute. Once I have learned how to do Root Variables I will indefinitely contribute, thanks in advance!

PS - Sorry if this is a really stupid question, I just need a little help, I hope you understand. =)
Re: Root Variable Help Posted on: 12/23/2011 7:20am
Quote Post
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Something changed and now don't subtract by 7, but subtract by F.

Flash .sol locations
Chrome: \AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\#SharedObjects\
Normal: \AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects

Re: Root Variable Help Posted on: 01/12/2012 3:54pm
Quote Post
is it possible that some other things are changed in the root variable hacking? I never find the value I'm looking for..
Re: Root Variable Help Posted on: 05/26/2012 1:16pm
Quote Post
A few things seem to have changed, yeah. Used to be you could just search for say _level0/:cash. You can still do that and find the variable name, but nothing actually points to it. Instead, set CE to text, put in _level0/:cash, then switch to array of bytes. That specific variable name will change to 5F 6C 65 76 65 6C 30 2F 3A 63 61 73 68 when you switch to AoB. Now, insert 00 between each byte so that it looks like 5F 00 6C 00 65 00 76 00 65 00 6C 00 30 00 2F 00 3A 00 63 00 61 00 73 00 68 and search as AoB. Reverse the address you get in your results and search for that. Take THIS address, add 1 to it, reverse it, and search. Now you're at the xx part of the old 02 00 00 20 xx xx xx xx yy yy yy yy.

But be warned, I'm using 64 bit Flash. The amount you need to add(or subtract) may be different on 32 bit.
Re: Root Variable Help Posted on: 05/27/2012 4:28am
Quote Post
Here is what I've seen so far starting with the original:
a+7 -> b -> name in ASCII
a     -> b -> name in UNICODE
a+7 -> b+4 -> c  -> name in UNICODE