Configuring Pidgin with KongHack
Configuring Pidgin with KongHack Posted on: 09/17/2013 5:25pm
Quote Post
Grammar Führer

Greetings and Welcome to this short and quick tutorial to Pidgin.
So you don't feel like using PSI or w/e else other programs out there that can connect to the XMPP chat that KongHack has and decided to use Pidgin to do it. No problem, I'll teach you how to do it really quickly, I might even add SS later if people ask to.
Before you procede to the actual step-by-step tutorial, you'll need to have a few things at hand, like the username, the domain, resource, etc. Everything can be found on this magical page: . Only follow the step-by-step after you have obtained these informations, else don't even bother continuing reading this tutorial. You'll just be shaming yourself.
Version 2.10.6 seems to have problems. Please, update to 2.10.7 if you happen to find problems, or to a newer version. If this fails, please, drop a line here or on chat.

-------------
First thing first, you'll have to add an account.
Choose the XMPP protocol.
The username is, obviously, the things contained on the field called "Your Username". Note HOWEVER, you don't need to place the domain along with the username, theres a different field for that.
On the field under it, is the domain. That's obviously, chat.konghack.com.
There is no need to input anything in the  Resource field.
The password field is mandatory, and it is not informed that magical page. But please, if you ask me what it is... do me a favor and kill yourself. It's the same one that you use to log in the site, THIS SITE.

The other fields are all optional, including the Advanced and the Proxy. Only mess with these if you know what you're doing, and if you really have any need to do it. To access KongHack, the Advanced Fields have no need to be modified, and the Proxy is very VERY personal. If you're using a proxy, put the necessary informations there, otherwise, don't mess with that.

And voala. You've completed the first part of the tutorial! You're a genius~!
No, not really, you're now connected to the chat server, however, you'll have noticed that zilch happened, and no chat room has apperead, and none will magically appear unless you actually configures one. That's the second part of this tutorial. Are you ready for it?

After having an account configured, click on "Buddies" and "Join a Chat"
In case you have more than one Pidgin Account configured, select the KongHack Account you've just configured.
Now notice that on the window there's a button that should say something like "Room List", click on it.
Another Window will pop-up asking for a Conference Server, input and click the magical "Find Rooms" button.
A Wild list of Chatrooms will appear!
Select the room named "konghack" and then select the option "Join"
A chat window will come and thats it. You're finally connected to the chatroom. Congratulations, you're connected!

And that's it. Congratulations, you're connected to the chatroom and you can start whinning and bitching all you want on the chatroom, just don't do it too much. If you'd like to change your nickname in that specific chatroom, open the Pidgin buddy list, look for the chats and right click on the room that you have joined and change the field named "Handle" to w/e you want and your name will be changed.

No number of hacks, good or bad, can replace Common Sense.
If you don't know how to use a hack, don't complain about them. Ask first, then complain.
In case you'd like me to update one of my hacks, please PM me, I'll bother updating them...
We don't bitetoo much.
In case you're lost, make sure you check both "101" and the "Konghack Wiki".